Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 11

I am home with a sick kid, so the packing food for a trip away issue didn't happen after all.  That made life easier in one sense.  Not being able to eat popcorn while watching a movie with my sickie was tough though!    I am still mourning the loss of treats and coffee, but I'm getting over it faster.  And trying to find things to substitute if I get desperate.  Sun butter on a rice cake actually does the trick for providing something kind of sweet and crunchy.  Although, I have been able to make it without snacks the last few days.  I am trying to only eat them when I actually feel hungry (and not when I just feel like having something).

Yesterday's breakfast was a good one for sweet and crunchy as well.  I made quinoa (a grain) in place of oatmeal.  While it cooked, I chopped up an apple, added a bunch of cinnamon and a bit of honey and cooked it in the microwave until soft.  I added the cooked apple to the quinoa and sprinkled chopped pecans on top.  All allowed!  And it tasted a bit like dessert!  Butter and brown sugar would have made it spectacular, but I'm not going to think about that.  Butter makes everything better, doesn't it?  Never mind.

I am attending a brunch on Tuesday morning, and I am sure it will be a battle of wills there too.  I am bringing a veggie tray with hummus so I can be assured of having something there that I can eat.  I'll actually eat breakfast before going too, so I won't be starved.  But it'll be hard to sit at the table with ladies eating plate-fulls of egg dishes, breads and desserts.  Interesting how so much of our social interaction revolves around food.  I. must. stay. strong.  Wish me luck!

No comments: